I just made a batch of mulberry jelly and one of mulberry jam. They both look good. I can't wait to try them. The jam is setting up very well :) The jelly will likely set up well also, it was the 2nd batch and is still cooling. I made 5 pints of jam, and one 1/2 quart jar that we will keep out to eat & 3 pints of jelly and 1/2 quart jar that we will keep out. I used 10 jars & only brought 12 from Grandma. I was not sure how much a batch would make. I wish I would have brought a few more quart jars back. Oh well - I guess I will just have to go buy some.
I started at 1:00 and got finished with both at 2:30. I couldn't believe hot quickly it went. I had gotten the berries and juice ready last night and that took probably about 30 minutes. So - all said and done it only took about 2 hours. I was expecting longer than that. Wow!
It feels good to have created something yummy and usable with berries I picked. I have not ever canned anything on my own, and it feels good to know that I accomplished a family tradition on my own. Of course, Grandma said she hated making jelly (but I know she made lots of it over her lifetime). I will likely make another batch - but I have to get more jars, lids, pectin, and lemon juice. Actually for this batch I used lime juice since I had some in the refrigerator, and there is not much difference in their flavor. Now that it is gone, I will get some lemon juice.
No comments:
Post a Comment