Tuesday, May 29, 2007

SCHOOL IS OUT!!!

Friday was our last day of school. Now I am the parent of a 1st grader and a 4th grader. Wow! The real work now begins. Fourth grade is a big transition year and first grade is the beginning of more structure. Wow! It will be a year of change for us.

We celebrated by going camping to St. Louis. We arrived at our campsite about 10:00. We got set up and had a restful night of sleep - listening to drag racing and then rain. We discovered over night that the water proofing we did on the camper was not quite right. The bunk ends were wet and anything that touched them was wet (pillows, sleeping bags, air mattresses...).

Saturday morning we headed to downtown to get first pitch tickets for the Cardinal game after a breakfast of scrambled eggs & bacon. We got ticket vouchers and then headed to the zoo. We had a great time seeing active animals - highlights were the polar bear swimming and then crawling around, a bear standing on it's hind legs, monkeys jumping and leaping, snakes crawling all around, and peacocks who were courting and showing off their feathers. Wow! What a day. After a quick lunch in the car we headed to the St. Louis Cardinal hall of fame & bowling hall of fame. Michael said he could not remember going there - so we planned another trip there - but once we got into the hall of fame he said, "oh, this is what you meant. I remember being here. " Oh well, we had fun and I scored a 125 game in bowling :) Wow! I have not done that well in along time. I even got two strikes :) AFter the hall of fame we grabbed an early dinner at Hardees and then got in line for first pitch tickets. Wow! We got great tickets - section 160 & section 235.

Sunday morning we had a breakfast of pancakes & beef sausage patties. We elft to go to the stadium after adding some tarps to our camper. The kids got an autograph, made 3 Cardinal crafts, got Cardinal popsicles, & walked around the stadium before the game. It started raining - pouring actually - during the game so there was a rain delay. Luckily we got ponchos and had brought them along - we needed them. The kids were intrigued with the tarp and the work doen to get the field protected. They started to panic when lightning hit a building across from the stadium - but cheered when it cleared off long enough to finish the game. After the game we headed to Pujols 5 for dinner. We enjoyed the items which Albert Pujols had collected over his baseball career. Then we headed back to the campground for a game of Life.

Monday morning we got up and ate a breakfast of pork steak & french toast. Cooking on a camping stove is kind of fun. AFter packing up we hit the road for home. Then the work began - drying out stuff & getting things washed. I headed off to a laundramat with the sleeping bags and pillows while we opened the camper and draped tarps in the backyard to dry.

Today it was back to school for teacher's meetings. We met this morning and I worked on report cards & permanent records in the afternoon. I got them done. Now the work of cleaning and sorting begins.

I will post pictures later - just wanted to recap before I forgot everything!

Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend. I salute all those who have served our country.

No comments: