Tonight at dinner the kids were messing around and not eating their food. Finally I said "Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it..." singing the Weird Al song. The kids looked at me like I was crazy. I then said it was a song... for real. They laughed and did eat their dinner. After dinner we looked up Eat It on youtube. They asked about the video, which spured us to watch Beat It by Michael Jackson. One really does forget the simliarities until you watch them back to back. Anyway, I got to thinking about when the songs came out... thought I was likely about Emily's age (I can remember really liking MJ and when Cousin Danette came down with her family we all listened to him over and over again, as we did when my Shelly came down for a visit)
I just looked it up and Beat It came out in 1983 when I would have been in 5th or 6th grade - 11 - just like Emily (she just turned 12). Yikes! Does not seem like that long ago really! If you want to enjoy the videos for yourself, here are some links. Hope they work.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-336010670/weird_al_yankovic_eat_it_official_music_video/
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-43555856001/michael_jackson_beat_it_official_music_video/
2 comments:
Matt was just looking up Weird Al videos a couple of days ago... :)
I remember you and Danette listening to those songs and Danette was convinced she wanted to marry MJ.
Post a Comment