Sunday, December 13, 2009

cookie exchange

Next Saturday we were invited to a cookie exchange. Emily, Michael and I spent some time this afternoon making some cookies. I chose some new recipes - to try something new. All three recipes were very good - and will be ones I use again. Thought I would share them. It is always fun to make new goodies this time of the year.

Cream Cheese Cookies
1 c butter
3 oz cream cheese
1 c sugar
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp vanilla
candied cherries

Cream butter & cream cheese. Slowly add sugar, beating until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Add flour and vanilla. Mix well. Chill for 1 hour. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Gently press cherry into each cookie. Bake at 325 for 12 - 17 minutes (I baked at 375 for 10 minutes, as I had other cookies going that used 375).


Candy Cane Cookies
1 c. shortening
1 c powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour

Mix all ingredients together, except four and salt. Add flour and salt. Mix again. Divide dough in half. Add 1/2 tsp of red food coloring to 1/2 the dough. Roll 1 teaspoon of each dough in hand until it is round. Dough should be formed abou the diameter of a pencil. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 9 minutes at 375. I took a "snake" or red dough and a "snake" of white dough and twisted them together and made a "peppermint stick".

Chocolate Crinkles
4 eggs
1 3/4 c. sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 c. cooking oil
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
powdered sugar

In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar, chocolate, oil, baking powder, and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined. Gradually beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover the dough and chill for 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle. Preheat oven to 375. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll balls into powdered sugar to coat generously. Place balls 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until edges are set and tops are dry. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. If desired, put additional powdered sugar on top of the cookies.

No comments: