Sunday, October 11, 2009

85th birthday

Working on the bus
Part of the crew in front of the bus - at Jim and Jane's house

Grandpa bowling
Uncle Victor opening some of his gifts - Julie, Sue & Phyllis watch
The beautiful Iowa sunset


Two weekends ago I was able to experience a weekend full of family bonding. My Great Uncle Victor celebrated his 85th birthday. I traveled with mom and dad to Iowa. We arrived there just in time for a dinner with all my mom's brothers and sisters, her parents, and all her cousins and their families - as well as the guest of honor - Uncle Victor. I actually got to sit right next to him. He was in good spirits and was quite the conversationalist. I enjoyed visiting with him and catching him up on my family.

On Saturday we ate breakfast at the hotel and then were picked up by our driver - a "Hawkeye party bus" to go to a neighboring town to shop and see the sights. The excitement was the bus broke down at a stop sign. There we were on a gravel road, in the middle of Iowa. Of course all the guys got out to see how they could fix it - and a truck of two more guys stopped to help (luckily they had tools). After 30 - 45 minutes (I was not counting, but that is what it probably was) they got it running (but were afraid to turn it off again, in case it would not start) and we headed to an Omish store and then to a cheese factory. After seeing the sights (our trip was cut a little short, due to our break down) we headed to my mom's cousins's house for lunch (Jim and Jane's house). We all ate there and visited and then headed back to the hotel. Dad and some of the guys rested, while us ladies went to the outlet mall that was right across the street. My big find was 99 cent clothes for the kids. I got Michael two shirts (that was all they had that would fit him) and Emily 8 pair of shorts. Quite a deal! Then we went to a family bowling tournament. It was fun to have 25 people, all family members, bowling together. I bowled with Aunt Dawn, Dad, Terry (my mom's cousins' husband) and myself. Uncle Victor and Grandma enjoyed watching and cheering everyone on - while Grandpa tried his hand at bowling. After bowling we went to another cousins' house (Sue's house) for dinner and some more visiting. Then, it was back to the hotel for a good night's sleep.
On Sunday morning we headed off to Church and then over to Julie & Terry's house (my mom's cousins) house for brunch. We had some more incredible food and good social time. I sat and talked with Grandma quite a while and heard many stories - some which I already knew, some which I did not.

Then, after lunch, we headed back home. I ended up getting home around 9:30. It was a great weekend! Thanks mom and dad for letting me tag along.

No comments: